Thomas Jefferson was the first administrator of the US patent system
Before an attorney-client relationship may be established, it is necessary that I perform a review to ensure there are no conflicts of interest in my representation of your company. Furthermore, before undertaking representation, it is necessary that your company and I agree on the scope along with the terms and conditions of the engagement. In short, to get started, the following process is followed:
1. Your company contacts me by email or phone expressing interest in my services. Please do not share any confidential information with me at this point, prior to an attorney-client relationship having been established.
2. I will acknowledge your inquiry, and, as necessary obtain any additional information needed for a determination of my ability to represent your company, in view of geographical restrictions and potential conflicts of interest.
3. If I am able to represent your company, and if you are a new client, then we will discuss in person or by phone the details of the potential engagement. With that understanding, if it appears an engagement would be mutually beneficial, I will prepare an engagement agreement.
4. Once the engagement agreement is agreed to and executed by both parties, work can begin.
5. For an initial engagement, I will require an up-front retainer. As our relationship matures, the need for a retainer can potentially be eliminated.
Copyright © 2018-2021 Kerry Goodwin - All Rights Reserved. Attorney advertising.